Bind Variable Peeking with Oracle Forms & Reports

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:25:18 -0700

Sorry for the repost, but I'm just trying this one more time during a different
timezone and with more concise wording since I didn't get any replies the first
time:

Has anyone else noticed queries coming from Oracle Forms & Reports not having
their bind variables peeked and/or reporting "No bind buffers allocated" in a
10053 trace?  Any idea what could be causing it?  I'm seeing this with Forms &
Reports 10.1.2.3 on a 10.2.0.4 database.  For more detail, please see my
original post below.

Thanks,
Brandon

--Original post from last week--

I've been struggling with this issue for a few months and haven't gotten very
far with Oracle Support, so I'm hoping some of you may be able to shed some
light on it for me.  I'm working with a 3rd party application written in Oracle
Forms & Reports and I've noticed that bind variable peeking is not being down
for some of the queries coming from the application, but for other queries it
is.  When the peeking isn't done, I see the message "No bind buffers allocated"
in the output of a 10053 trace, which seems to indicate that the bind variable
value wasn't specified at parse time on the client-side by Forms/Reports, in
which case the database wouldn't be able to peek at it.  I've been able to
reproduce the same "No bind buffers allocated" message by using dbms_sql as
shown here:

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:2444907911913#55014877907946

So I guess this is a known issue (although not documented) that bind variable
peeking isn't done with dbms_sql, but I can't find any documentation or
anything in MOS or anywhere else mentioning this as a known issue with Oracle
Forms & Reports.  Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Is it documented
anywhere?  Do you have any idea why some queries would have their bind variable
values set and peeked, but others would not?