Re: Bigger block sizes

  • From: Orlando L <oralrnr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 10:12:51 -0500

"oracle really only tests on the 8k block size": interesting! They claim
the product supports other blocksizes too!

There must be places where 8K blocks may not be big enough to store a row,
even at 1% PCTFREE.

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 4:53 PM, Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I haven't seen any advantages from using any larger block sizes. I also
saw a Tom Kyte article a while back that said they are only intended for
use with transportable table spaces, and oracle really only tests on the 8k
block size.

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 30, 2015, at 4:29 PM, Orlando L <oralrnr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

List,

Does anyone in the list use non default blocksize of greater than 8K for
your oracle DBs; if so, is it for warehousing/OLAP type applications? What
advantages do you get with them; any disadvantage.

Orlando.