RE: Beta OCP exam for 10g New Features

  • From: Freeman Robert - IL <FREEMANR@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx '" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 11:30:13 -0500

As this is a beta exam, I doubt you will find much in the way of assistance
in terms of specific study areas. Hope my book helps! A quick look at the
Oracle web site dosen't seem to provide much help with objectives...

Robert

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Oracle 9.2 changes in INIT
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:03:11 +0100

Welcome to the wonderful world of the SPFILE discussed here recently.

There is a nice explanation at http://www.dizwell.com but to answer
your question

ALTER SYSTEM has acquired some new functionality. You can now issue

ALTER SYSTEM SET <parameter> = <value> SCOPE=<SCOPE>;

where parameter is the parameter for example OPEN_CURSORS, value is
the new value you want for example 500 and scop takes one of MEMORY
which means make the change just to the currently running instance ,
SPFILE which means make the change to the SPFILE making it persistent
or BOTH which fairly obviously means do both of these.

It also takes COMMENT= and then a comment so that you can document
your changes, but obviously this option is almost never used :( .

I don't like them much but they do have a bunch of advantages
(principally as a mechanism for self tuning and for RAC) and get to be
mandated for various new features. To back them up - which is wise as
the error checking leaves something to be desired and can leave you
with a non startable instance and a non editable init.ora if you do
things stupidly (or you experiment with new things in a perverse
manner)  - then either backup the file using an os utility or use the
new CREATE PFILE <FILENAME> FROM SPFILE <filename> syntax to create an
old fashioned plain text init.ora

cheers

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 10:53:15 -0500, Smith, Ron L. <rlsmith@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

 > I am setting up my first new 9.2 database.  When I looked at the
 > init(sid).ora it looks like there is some binary code at the front
and
 > end of the file.  How do you edit the file now?
 >
 > Thanks!
 > Ron Smith

Watch the online reality show Mixed Messages with a friend and enter to
win
a trip to NY
http://www.msnmessenger-download.click-url.com/go/onm00200497ave/direct/
01/