Re: Best practice for Oracle clients with a single instance database

  • From: Subodh Deshpande <deshpande.subodh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pjhoraclel@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 20:17:47 +0530

am bit confused,

you have an rac and separate application node as of now and now you do not
want to have multiple nodes/hosts, instead you want to have one oracle home
for database, another for oracle client for application maintenance, sounds
good, but is new hardware capabale of accomodating database load and
application load as well..if so then

0) who is going to maintain application node..you i.e. dba then why you
require oracle client
1) otherwise can you have an VM ware instance on the host and can you move
application code to VMware and there you can install oracle client, I
thought of this because, like some of list members have already said
security can not be guranteed on the same host even if we install database,
oracle client and application code with different users.  but what
about groups.if they are not same then you are compramising with
security, and in that case root user and or pseudo user password policies
will not be kept secure, especially, if you/dba are not going to maintain
the application node, which is on the same host. instead think of VM ware
instance where you can give complete access to application team

thanks..subodh

--
DO NOT FORGET TO SMILE TODAY