Best practice for Dataguard in 10g?

  • From: "dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 10:04:04 +0800

Hi folks.

At the recent 11g Dataguard Admin course it was strongly suggested we use LGWR
and SYNC/ASYNC as the mechanism for log shipping from primary database.

While in 10g doco both LGWR and ARCn are given equal weight, depending on needs.

It was also strongly hinted that ARCn log shipping is on the way out as LGWR in
11g onwards seems to be the preferred/best way to ship the logs.

Does this match the collective knowledge/wisdom here?  Any good/sad experiences
with either ARCn or LGWR-based log shipping?  Gotchas of each?

I'm going to put our 10g DW db on a Dataguard regime but am in two minds as to
which way I should go.  I'd like to stay as 11g-compatible as I can but if using
LGWR in 10g buys me hassles, then compatibility can take a hike.

Current release is 10.2.0.3, patched up for obvious problems.  Dataguard will be
in maximum performance mode.  We might go 11g end of next year.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Cheers
Nuno Souto
in sunny Sydney, Australia