RE: Best option for moving database of server

  • From: "Satterthwaite, Sarah" <Sarah.Satterthwaite@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ofabelo@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 09:18:06 -0500

Oliver,

How do you normally back up your databases?  Use this as an opportunity
to make sure you can restore a backup.

1.  Install the Oracle Software on the new machine.  Same patch level as
the source.
2.  Backup the source database using whatever you normally use for
backups (hot, cold, RMan, manual file copies?)
3.  Restore the backup to the new machine.  If the disk arrangement is
different on the new machine, you will have to tell Oracle where the
files are located.  The method to do that varies with the type of backup
you are restoring.
4.  If you need to change the name and/or database id of the restored
database, use the DBNewID utility (see the utilities manual).

It sounds like you have never tested your backup strategy and this would
be a very good chance to do it.

If you haven't tried RMan, it is a very nice tool.  You can use an RMan
backup as the source to duplicate the database with a new name and
database ID.  It's easy to change file locations if your disk setup is
different.

Sarah