Re: Best Practises/parameters for speeding Datapump & exporting to Multiple directories

  • From: Nigel Thomas <nigel_cl_thomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VIVEK_SHARMA@xxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:27:24 -0800 (PST)

>Can /Partition1 & /Partition2 be explicitly Specified? I am unable to follow
>the meaning of the word ?directory_object?
>Is the Directory Object an Environment Variable which needs to be set on the
>O.S.?

Vivek

A directory object is a pseudo Oracle object handle to directories in the file
system, created in the database. See
http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/statements_5007.htm#i2061958.

I say pseudo, because:
- Directoriesdo appear in xxx_OBJECTS views
- but they can only be owned by SYS, and they use a database wide name space
(like public synonyms).

Then see the Datapump documentation at
http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14215/dp_overview.htm#sthref37

I don't have 10g to play with to answer the partitioning/parallelisation
question you asked...

Regards Nigel