RE: Backups failing

  • From: "Sweetser, Joe" <JSweetser@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Sreejith Nair <sreejithsna@xxxxxxxxx>, "ofabelo@xxxxxxxxx" <ofabelo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 16:55:06 +0000

I agree with Sreejith but would suggest the quiesce state is a little more
restrictive than just not accepting new connections.  From here:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28310/start004.htm

Is this:
Occasionally you might want to put a database in a state that allows only DBA
transactions, queries, fetches, or PL/SQL statements. Such a state is referred
to as a quiesced state, in the sense that no ongoing non-DBA transactions,
queries, fetches, or PL/SQL statements are running in the system.

But if your emca process is hanging with both drop and recreate, then that may
not be the issue.

-joe