Backup policy

  • From: "Zanen van, J (Jacob)" <Jacob.van.Zanen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 08:25:05 +1100

Hi List,

When I started here a few months ago all scripts were sort of in place
for backups but I have my doubts about something.

One of the things the scripts do is check if the database is up and
running, and if not starts the database and mounts it to take the
backup.
I seriously have my doubts about the validity of this, as this takes
away the checking of why it was down in the first place.
My idea is to leave the check in but remove the portion of the script
that start the database and just send  an error if the database is down
(maybe not even that as this is picked up by open view already)

What is your thought on this?

Brgds

Jack

This email, including any attachments, may be confidential or privileged, and
is sent for the personal attention of the intended recipient.  If you have
received this email in error, please delete it immediately.  The views
expressed are not necessarily those of the Rabobank Group.  The Group is not
liable for the effects of any virus which may be contained in this email.

If this email contains marketing material and you do not wish to receive such
material by email in future, please reply to this email and place the words
"Remove My Details - Electronic Messages" in the Subject Header.

The Rabobank Group

Australia: 1800 025 484
New Zealand: 0800 500 933