Re: Backup opinions

  • From: "Roman Podshivalov" <roman.podshivalov@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 13:32:22 -0400

Hi,

We use Netbackup agent for the last 7+ years to backup databases, including
Oracle starting from version 8, directly to tapes and now to VTL (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Tape_Library) as well. It's working OK
in most cases, including archivelog backups (sometimes we have them running
hourly based on the archievlog destination usage threshold). Recovery is not
an issue if right tape is in place. Otherwise it should be retrieved from
the off site storage. However for 24x7 databases in archivelog mode with
99.999998% availability 8-) you have to examine and estimate capacity of the
following crucial elements:
- size of FRA/archivelog destination vs amount of redo generated vs
throughput to Netbackup infrastructure
- backup retention policy
- network connectivity to Netbackup infrastructure (it's better to have
separate network interface(s)/segment for that)
- potential scheduled/unscheduled outages of Netbackup infrastructure if
archievlog backups are done to tape
- ability of the supporting personal to troubleshoot issues on Netbackup
side

From logging standpoint - it's sufficient. There are two additional places
in netbackup client installation where logging information for all
backup/restore operations goes. It's easy to read and comprehend. RMAN
catalog also has some additional information from Netbackup, tape labels for
each backupset, for example. That helps significantly during
restores because you can figure out what tape should be requested without
even starting the activity.

--romas