Re: Backup on standby database

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 16:09:47 -0400

For the proxy backup of the primary, as for any proxy backup of Oracle database, you need RMAN catalog. In your case, your standby would be the proxy. Also, if you plan on running incremental backups, which I don't consider a good idea, you will need block change tracking device on the standby. That requires active data guard license. I am not sure what kind of backup software do you use, but almost all varieties have de-duplication included in the package. I am not sure whether Veritas has finally managed to get de-duplication working fine, but that was an Achilles heel of the NetBackup software. Everything else like TSM, Data Domain, Avamar, Commvault, Rubrik and Veeam has a working de-duplication.

Deduplication, essentially, writes down only blocks that have changed from the previous backup, thus doing an incremental backup of a sort. That way, your storage consumption will not grow out of proportions and you will have a daily full backup to restore. Remember, even if you do incremental backups, you still have to restore the last full one. Discussions about RTO and RPO are probably outside of the scope of this thread. However, you will need an honest discussion with your PHB for any serious DR plan.

On 5/2/21 3:48 PM, Pap wrote:

We do have dataguard configured standby database for disaster recovery so want to know from experts if it's advisable to run backup on standby side? Or does it have any down side?

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant