Backup and Recovery advice needed

  • From: Christoph <cruepprich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:01:23 -0600

Hi all,
I have a database which is used for reporting on multiple customers. Data
for each customer is provided on a monthly basis. Each montly dataset is
stored in its own tablespace.
For example, customer A's data for Jan, Feb, Mar resides in three separate
tablespaces:
tblspc_a_2010_01
tblspc_a_2010_02
tblspc_a_2010_03
The same is true for all other customers:
tblspc_x_2010_01
tblspc_x_2010_02
tblspc_x_2010_03
etc.

I care to only retain three months worth of data. With this way of
organizing the data, I can simply drop the tablespaces and datafiles I no
longer need, thus preserving storage space.

Now I'm trying to find the best backup & recovery method for this scenario.
I thought about simply doing incremental RMAN backups. But since I'm only
retaining three months worth of data, I think this may be overkill.
Instead I'm thinking about using RMAN to make a compressed backup of each
new tablespace as the data arrives, so that in case I need to recover, I can
pick and choose which tablespaces to recover (I may choose to only recover
the last month instead of the last three months). I also want to be able to
restore & recover tablespaces to a new database.

I would like some ideas and suggestions on the best way to go about this.

Thanks,
Christoph

--
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."