Re: Backup OEL Virtual Machine

  • From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 01:02:15 -0400

Evening

On 21 July 2015 at 13:29, Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You typically don't make changes to a DB server all that frequently, on
anything outside the database itself that is. If you do, you aren't doing
it right. Quarterly patching, and the occasional crontab or shell script
change should be about it. It should be easy enough to schedule something
on a quarterly interval without problems.

Those trivial changes can still make your recovery a nightmare especially
if they are easy to forget

Sadly, though, disk-image backups of any sort address only a small set of
recovery scenarios.

The biggest problem with disk image is slow corruption that show up months
later. Buy that time, any usable disk backup is long gone.

Also, its not very efficient in disk usage. Imagine is your system is a
couple of TB in size, backup would be long and also consume lots of space

Personally, I would want at least some capability to recover individual
files from backup. There are a number of configuration files where a
botched edit can cause absolute havoc. It would be a great comfort to know
that I can always restore these files to a previous "good" state, even if
that state might be 24 hours (or a week) in the past.

I think an ideal solution would be to use ansible to set up your system
from scratch and then put your ansible configuration on git. If you go
everything through ansible, you can deploy a fresh system in under 20 min
with zero error.

Then, once the system is up, do backup recovery from rman and you are good.

You can also use puppet but I prefer ansible, so used it as example

Regards,

William