Re: Backup OEL Virtual Machine

  • From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 18:34:18 -0400

Hmmm. I'm not so sure that *no* backup is needed. Even if the VMs are
based on a template, they are probably customized at least somewhat, so
you'll probably want backups if you want to restore from a failure quickly.

(My goal for backup/recovery is to expend as close as possible to *no*
thought at recovery time. In this case, you would not want to be caught at
recovery time scratching your head and wondering what sort of
customizations need to be applied to your "template" in order to make the
database open.)

Depending on the VM technology, you might be able to make snapshots
(exclude the disks managed by ASM, if you can). If the VM snapshot
technology is really good, these might be very efficient on storage and
other resources. Failing that, you should think probably about backing up
the Linux filesystems exactly the same way you would a physical server.

Yeah, backing up the filesystems on your VMs is going to consume some
storage.

Yeah, a lot of the data you're backing up is probably cloned from a
template, so the backup might SEEM wasteful.

But when those backups save you maybe 1 or 2 hours of effort (per virtual
machine) at recovery time, you're likely to find it was worthwhile.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 6:13 PM, Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

You probably don't need to if they are created from a template. Re
creating them is fairly easy.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 20, 2015, at 4:58 PM, Kenneth Naim <kennethnaim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear List,

How do recommend backing up several OEL VM’s that house databases sitting
on ASM. The databases themselves are already backed up to a HP StoreOnce
device using the StoreOnce client and RMAN but I am concerned about the
actual VM.

Thanks,

Ken