RE: Backing up the recovery catalog

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:11:32 -0700

I'm rehashing this old topic again since I got too busy to respond back
when I originally posted my question.

I'm curious if anyone can come up with a scenario where the lack of a
recovery catalog would prevent successful database recovery?  Assuming
that you have controlfile backups, I can't think of such a case.  I'm
leaning towards following the same path as Jared and phasing out the
recovery catalog since it just seems like an unnecessary level of
redundancy to me - especially with the added ease of controlfile
autobackups in 9i+.

It seems to me that the only benefits of the recovery catalog are that
it can hold more historical data (control file is limited to 365 days
and 20,000 blocks), and it can hold rman scripts.  So, if either of
those two things are important to you, then it might make sense to have
a recovery catalog but other than that it just seems more and more like
a waste of resources to me.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Brandon