Re: Backing up standby db: has stopping recovery prior to backup restriction been removed?

  • From: fmhabash <fmhabash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Fuad Arshad <fuadar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 10:04:25 -0400

The information is contradictory as I have seen it in multiple places. I raised a tar with Oracle and they are saying recovery must be stopped with 11.2 being the only exception. These are my questions and Oracle's response to them. I'm still debating these answers to clear up this contradiction.

Question
========
- There is NO need to cancel recovery (managed or manual) before performing rman
based backup while db is MOUNTED.

Answer
======
The database CANNOT be in managed recovery mode if the database is less the 11.2.0.1 release.

Question
========
- An rman based backup is valid if the standby db was opened in 'read only'
mode before backup withOUT stopping recovery (managed or manual).

Answer
======
The database cannot be in 'read only' and manage recovery in a release less than 11.2.0.1

Question
========
- Performing user managed backup e.g. cp will ALWAYS require either a shutdown or
cancel recovery first.

Answer
======
yes.

Question
========
- In you initial answers, why did you exclude 11.2

Answer
======
Don't understand what the question is. All releases require that you stop managed
recovery except for 11.2