Re: Background to the "Why I Don't Like" Threads

  • From: Andy Klock <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Steve Harville <steve.harville@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 14:49:49 -0500

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 1:16 PM, Steve Harville
<steve.harville@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> All my backup scripts explicitly set the RMAN parameters using configure. I
> never expect that those settings are consistent from one backup to the next.

Speaking of things we don't like, I have a love hate relationship with
CONFIGURE.  In some single DBA shops it probably doesn't matter so
much, but when there are several cooks then I find CONFIGURE doing
more damage than good. I like CONFIGURE because it makes the RMAN
backup command really easy, "BACKUP DATABASE;". But as soon as someone
else calls CONFIGURE behind my back, I may have unintended results the
next time around.

For a script analogy, I liken CONFIGURE, which persists that parameter
setting in the controlfile, to physically updating .profile to run a
script. But typically when writing scripts (i.e. bash), we usually
only set the environment variables for calling session. This can be
done similarly in RMAN with the SET command, but for some reason I see
more CONFIGUREs than SETs.

Welcome back Dave.

Andy