Re: Awakening PMON to do its job

  • From: "Stefan Knecht" <knecht.stefan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cnewtonne@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:59:16 +0100

You could try

SQL> oradebug
help

<snip>
WAKEUP         <orapid>                  Wake up Oracle process
<snip>

ORADEBUG WAKEUP <oracle pid of pmon>

Stefan

On 2/15/07, cnewtonne@xxxxxxxxx <cnewtonne@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We had an issue affecting one of our production DBs. The middle tier
application for some reason, went crazy spawning processes chewing up
the DBs process parameter. DB started throwing errors indicating max
process exceeded. When I got to the database, I retrieved some of the
SPIDs and all did not have client PIDs. At this point, we only option
was to bounce the DB which ended up resolving the issue of cleaning up
all these process.

My question is could've we awakened the PMON process to do its cleaning
and how? I know there is away using oradebug but I have not tried it
first on any of my play databases to do in this production DB?