Re: Automation of regular tasks

  • From: "Mikael Sandström" <micke.sandstrom.oraclel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 09:38:51 +0200

Hi,

We use Ansible for all things database/GI/OEM. Installs, patches etc and we're really happy with that. We also manage users/tablespaces/init-params in the databases.
We don't run weblogic outside of OEM though.

I'm not sure I understand your one-user issue? You basically do everything you would do if you're ssh'ing to the machine and performing the steps manually?

regards
/Micke

On 09/30/2015 06:14 PM, Paul Houghton wrote:

Hi

I am looking into automating regular tasks, and wondered what others do. I am
thinking of database critical patches, and weblogic installs to start with,
because they are things we do a lot.

We are going to look into using enterprise manager, but presumably we need to
license weblogic server management pack to use OEM to install weblogic. Also I
am not sure about how it would cope with the configuration that is typically
required after a weblogic install.

We tend to have separate homes at each CPU version of the database so we can
upgrade different DBs on the same server at different times, and to minimise
downtime. Can OEM take care of this for us?

I did try using ansible, which I liked, except you can only define one user,
which means doing everything as root and using sudo to switch to oracle, or
doing everything as oracle and using sudo to run root.sh, neither of which I
really like.

I note that
http://oraclemiddlewareblog.com/2015/02/25/weblogic-domain-running-minutes-using-docker/
looks interesting, but would probably be no use for a database install, so
would have to have different technologies for different areas of the stack
which would increase complexity.

What do you use?

Thanks

PaulH