Re: Automatic startup after FSFO

  • From: Svetoslav Gyurov <softice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: john.jones@xxxxxxxx, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 19:41:52 +0100

Hi John,

If failover occurs, the broker will open the standby straight away and the
former primary will be shut anyway ? Then at some point you would like to
start (manually) the former primary in mount state to get it reinstated and
become the new standby database ?

I've done similar 11.2.0.3.7 installation recently and I had a lot of
problems because of having the databases in Oracle restart with their
db_name instead of their unique name.

Regards,
Sve

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 7:48 AM, Freek D'Hooge <freek.dhooge@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

John,

It was my impression that you need to install grid infrastructure when
using FSFO so the database stop / start is managed by the GI.
In that case, there is no need to have your own stop/start scripts and the
desired state is managed in the cluster registry.

When a role change has happened oracle "should" change the desired target
state.
I say should, as recall some problems with that in 11.2. Although those
should be fixed now.

regards,

--
Freek D'Hooge
Exitas NV

On di, 2015-05-26 at 18:18 +0000, John Jones wrote:

I have setup FSFO using an Observer server and everything seems to be
working fairly well. The one point that we are struggling with is what
happens to out start up scripts once a switch over has occurred.

So say we have production on server1 and standby on server2 and our
observer is running on server3. We have modified/created database startup
scripts to use the /etc/oratab and use the flag at the end to start the
databases. If it has “Y” it starts as a normal database. If it has “S” it
starts as a standby database, and “N” does not start it at all.

So after a failover to the standby, the /etc/oratab on server2 would have
an “S” and it would not be the primary and need to be started normal.
Server1 would be the standby with an “Y’. but need to be started in
Standby mode.

I know I can change them if I know there was failover, but what if
something happens before I can change the values.

John