Automatic Shared Memory question

  • From: "Harvinder Singh" <Harvinder.Singh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:43:08 -0400

Hi,

I am checking the Automatic Shared Memory feature and set the following
2 parameters in init.ora file and recreate the spfile and restarted the
oracle:
sga_max_size=943718400
sga_target=629145600

Now I expect SGA to use about 600MB as per sga target but when I do
select * from v$sga or show sga from sqlplus it shows it to use 900M and
that is sga_max_size setting:
SQL> show sga

Total System Global Area  943718400 bytes
Fixed Size                  1305760 bytes
Variable Size             514069344 bytes
Database Buffers          427819008 bytes
Redo Buffers                 524288 bytes

Now when I go to OEM and check the memory parameters it shows it using
600MB:
SGA Component   Current Allocation (MB)
Shared Pool     176
Buffer Cache    408
Large Pool      4
Java Pool       8
Other   4

Howcome I am seeing 2 different results and OEM showing correct results.

Environment : Oracle 10.1.0.3 on sun solaris 10

Thanks
--Harvinder

--
//www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l