RE: Authorete

  • From: "John Flack" <JohnF@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:45:48 -0500

I'm trying to get a handle on exactly what you want the programmers to be able
to do, and what you don't want them able to do.

If you are just trying to keep them from doing DDL, then you give them all
their own user accounts, create and grant a "programmer" role with SELECT,
INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE on the tables.  The tables are owned by a separate
application schema to which only you have the password.  It might not even have
the connect privilege.

Want to limit the rows on which they may operate too?  Look into Vitual Private
Database.

Want to give them limited and highly controlled access to DDL?  Create a DDL
package in the application schema with procedures that do EXECUTE IMMEDIATE
commands for each DDL that you want to allow, then grant the programmer role
EXECUTE on the package.  You can add all kinds of code to control exactly what
they can do, and even have it e-mail you every time they use it, to let you
know what they are up to.