RE: Auditing Oracle business processes? - slightly OT

  • From: "Johnson, George" <GJohnson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:29:15 +0100

        "just something that came out of the mouth of a clueless auditor",
heh heh!

        Sorry to drag it slightly off track, but I once had an auditor ask a
manager of mine, with a serious face, a) why the DBAs needed the DBA or
equivalent roles b) why they needed access to login the database at all?
After explaining exactly what a DBA does that an application admin doesn't,
we eventually had to create another role, identical to DBA, called
something_DBA, then grant that to the DBA team members. Then we needed to
audit all actions any user did on the server at command prompt and certain
accounts in the DB.

        Auditor's don't always understand the many products they have to
deal with and quite often they need guidance in showing them the boundaries
the software has and how much of what they require is feasible. It's not a
crime to question an auditor, they are not almighty beings from on high,
they are usually more than willing to compromise if they are satisfied and
understand that no harm can be done by what is agreed.

        It can be good fun, as they ask you questions that can get you
thinking about the way you do things, especially if you have been doing
things the same way for years, but never questioned it.

        I guess, you don't just accept they want this "process auditing"
from you, ask why they feel they need it?  What does it prove in terms of
security and accountability?

        Rgds