Re: Async_io set up HP-UX for 10g Instances(these are apps instances)

  • From: Roby Sherman <rxsherm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 11:52:56 -0600

- disk_asynch_io is used to enable the oracle kernel to make use of asynchronous io, IF the OS supports it.

And you really DO want to figure out if your OS supports it. Otherwise if you turn it on and its not supported, your database is essentially making two I/O calls for every one... One to aio_write (which fails) and then an immediate call to pwrite after. I can't tell you how many environments I come into where disk_asynch_io is set to true and it isn't supported.

--Roby