RE: Are you angry DBA?

  • From: "Marquez, Chris" <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:18:37 -0400

Rich,

>>say that it's not the DBA's job to enforce rules
>> and restrictions is a lack of accountability

Let me clarify.
It is NOT my database to "force" rules and restrictions, but I must *ENFORCE*
existing rules and restrictions, yes.
I see to many DBA's that don't do allow anything because they *personally*
don't like it, but might not be the way of the business...if the business
accepts the risk then I should not be and Angry DBA.

*We* had a rule at one shop, "the DBA's never changes passwords or data".
Management demanded this and I ENFORCEd it for years.  In other shops anyone
can tell me change passwords at anytime...personally a bad idea, but the way of
the business.

>>So if your devs want the DBA role in your production DBs, you give it to
>>them???

Of course not, No!
*HOWEVER* if management wants developers to have DBA role in production I have
no problem...unless the screw things up daily, then I will go look for a new
job where were developers do not have DBA role in production.

It is also as part of my responsible as a DBA to explain to everyone the
consequences of such and action, but if they insist so be it.  I will just work
harder on be backup and recovery skills.

Often it is never this cut an dry; "DBA role in prod to developers"...and sadly
we DBA's must split hairs and show management often how rules and restrictions
are regularly contradicted and impossible to ENFORCE (as in you own case).
Like when NO developers have DBA role but they all have "DROP ANY TABLE" for
example.

hth

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA