Re: Applying CPU to RAC with physical standby

  • From: "S. Anthony Sequeira" <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 13:12:56 +0100

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 12:37 +0100, jason arneil wrote:
> I think you should be OK to apply the catpatch.sql with the database
> up, the patch instructions are clear on that. I don't think having
> dataguard involved impacts on this, why should it?

Yes, but the standby patch application note (187242.1) specifically
mentions that all nodes must be down while the entire patch is being
applied.  This is what I'm querying with Oracle Support, and the list.
I too believe that having a standby should not make a difference, but
apparently it does.

> You must however
> start the database in upgrade mode to perform the view recompile -
> but
> you know this already!
>
> At this stage I can't see how you can have a node open for business
> -
> except if you want to offer your users some read only activity, then
> you could use your standby read only while you were doing the view
> recompile.

We have scheduled downtime in a short window between batch runs on a
Sunday afternoon.  Oracle Support are dragging their heels on this, if I
have to take the database down for an extended period of time, it has to

> This though is far removed from the marketing hype of "rolling
> upgrade".

Agreed, this begs the question, why use RAC and pay through the nose?
But that's probably been gone through many times, and is not really
relevant to the thread.

Regards.
--
S. Anthony Sequeira