Re: Applying CPU to RAC with physical standby

  • From: Carel-Jan Engel <careljan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 13:59:31 +0200

At least I would stronly encourage not to have the standby database
receiving and/or applying logs whilst the primary is upgraded. Oracle
docs suggest to do this.

However, what if the upgrade fails? Then you have two databases upgraded
halfway.
I never understood why Oracle wants this approach in a HA environment.

If you stop the standby during the upgrade (or have it open read-only,
as Jason suggested) you can easily activate the standby when the upgrade
of the primary fails for whatever reason.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
===