Re: Anyone with experience with the Oracle Data Appliance/ODA?

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 20:02:00 -0500

On 01/29/2016 02:49 PM, Jay.Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi

We just attended an ODA presentation and it looks very promising as a solution for our non-prod testing environment as it would allow us to clone multiple instances of the gold copy test databases easily (without needing to coordinate with other departments as we do now) and apply patches for those environments quickly and easily as well.

Any real life pros or cons that anyone has experienced with the appliance? We’d keep our production and performance testing environments off it at least for now.

Jay Miller

Sr. Oracle DBA

201.369.8355

As I am no longer a DBA, I don't have one of my own, but I have several encounters with ODA. My impressions are quite good. It's a rock solid Oracle Linux, with Oracle 11.2.0.4 RAC and easy to administer. Of course, I personally prefer to do my own installations, but in all cases the configuration was rock solid and easy to work with.
I dunno about the price, the client told me that they have paid quite a bit less for the ODA than it would cost them to assemble the thing themselves. The only problem is that ODA has internal storage and probably doesn't support FC connected storage from your SAN. The link to the world is a 10GB LAN, which is fast enough. ODA is not Exadata, my impression is that it's purpose are smaller enterprises or work group databases. I have never participated in the purchase process, so I can't tell you about pricing, but my overall impressions are positive. Essentially, it's a packaged two node RAC on Oracle Linux, with a bunch of internal disks. You still need to license the cores.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA