Re: Anyone with experience with MMOG and databases?

  • From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:07:17 +0800

Which comes back to one of my favourite quotes.

A past client implemented a public-facing system (100% Java) which had
all the bells and whistles for the end-user - whizz bang graphics,
heaps of automation of the regular tasks they had to do etc, but
terrible usage and understanding of the underlying Oracle database.
We pointed out that data integrity was sortta important but they
forged on and went live anyway...

Net result - front page of the newspapers with people getting other
people's information, sent to the wrong address, with the wrong
details etc etc etc...

In the subsequent crisis meeting I asked:

"What percentage data integrity do we have?"

Funny... I always thought it was a boolean.

--
Connor McDonald

"Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat"