RE: Any way to forace parallel query for another session?

  • From: <krish.hariharan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Kurt-Franke@xxxxxx>, <anysql@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 09:05:32 -0700

Since you are going to be constrained on the write with exp as John Hallas
said, it would likely end up in a "hurry up and wait" scenario.

If your environment is like ours, then the constraint is usually not export,
but
1. transporting the data to the target environment
2. importing the data

I would think you would be better off, parallelizing the process as follows
(or equivalent), instead of just the export component of it, which is not
likely to be the long pole.

Assuming datapump is not applicable to your situation (and even if it were
there are parts here that may still be relevant)

1. Export the structures
2. Export the data (small group of tables for small tables, and partitioning
with predicates for larger tables, without losing data of course, and using
direct path where applicable).
3. Gzip/compress the files after the fact or using named pipes depending on
your environment
4. Transport the files efficiently scp -C or robocopy (hearsay for me) or
play with the mtu/sdu on a remote import session (by habit and not reason, I
use file transfer methods)
5. Import in multiple sessions and close out by rebuilding the indexes and
the constraints with no validate

Depending on your version of Oracle and the volume of data being moved, the
frequency of such moves, and your SLAs, you may also want to look at other
options such as direct path loads, RMAN, TTS, for data movement for
environment replication.

-Krish