Re: Any way to do this in straight SQL?

  • From: Kristian Myllymäki <kristian@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 23:56:41 +0100 (CET)

There is probably a more elegant way to do it, but you could "group" your
data into sets using some analytic functions that apply your logic. Then
use this result in an update or merge statement.

select
        history_id,
        history_sequence,
        history_status,
        first_value(history_balance) over (partition by grp order by
history_sequence) balance
from (
        select
                history_id,
                history_sequence,
                history_status,
                history_balance,
                max(r) over (order by history_id, history_sequence) grp
        from (
                select
                        history_id,
                        history_sequence,
                        history_status,
                        history_balance,
                        case when history_status != 'PROCESSED' then rownum
else null end r
                from history
                order by history_id, history_sequence
        )