Re: Any ORCA Users?

  • From: Tony van Lingen <tony_vanlingen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Chris.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 15:12:39 +1000

We've used it for years at a client site to monitor stand-alone databases. We've integrated it into Nagios so that we can get real-time notification as well as trend analisys through Orca. The Nagios plugin writes the measured data to a percollator file which in turn is input for Orca. the advantage as I see it is that this puts less strain on the database as it only queries the dba views and fixed views involved - it does not actually change the database by storing any data in it.

Database Console provides the same functionality, only with the data stored in the target database. I suppose GC does that for all databases in the grid.

Cheers,
Tony

Taylor, Chris David wrote:
At the IOUG conference last week, I ran across a tool called "ORCA" and RRDTool used for extracting/monitoring data from Grid Control. (I know its designed for Solaris system monitoring primarily). I was curious if anyone was using it to pull data from Grid Control? */Chris Taylor/*
*Sr. Oracle DBA*
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355
Cell: 615-354-4799
Email: chris.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:chris.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE**: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the information on any medium.*