RE: Any AIX networking gurus (related to Grid Control)?

  • From: "Khemmanivanh, Somckit" <somckit.khemmanivanh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jeff.thomas@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 19:36:44 -0700

Well DNS is not AIX specific.

Yes, the alias config your DNS folks have setup looks good.

Basically the host has a hostname (it will also have an A and reverse entry in
DNS )
The alias (a CNAME DNS entry) basically points to the A entry.

This setup does give you flexibility 1)should the host need to be moved to a
new server 2) for vendor HA setups (HACMP, MCSG,etc...) 3) prevents
applications from being tied to hostnames, etc...But you've already mentioned
these...

I wonder, was the alias ever setup correctly since you say it was resolving to
the wrong host?