Re: Another Iicensing conundrum

  • From: Bill Zakrzewski <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: handdba@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 09:45:24 -0500

Mike -

If you purchased the "perpetual" database license, my understanding is the same, you can use the database forever but can only upgrade and get support with the annual contract. If you miss a year of support you will probably have to buy another perpetual license....this keeps customers from trying to save money by not buying the support contract each year. It has been a couple of years since I read an Oracle software contract, but that was my understanding back then.

Things change and differ for some customers, so you probably have to review the contract your company has with Oracle.

-Bill
On Mar 5, 2009, at 9:01 AM, M Hand wrote:

Greetings,
With the usual caveats that we are not lawyers, I would like your opinion on licensing and annual support. The question is whether annual support is required to use licensed products.

The long story:

My management and I believe that the perpetual database license gives one permission to use the licensed product regardless of a ongoing support contract. And the support contract gives one Metalink/SR access, permission to upgrade, and other non-license support. We expect to discontinue all database usage by the end of this year and have not renewed our support for 2009. Oracle is now coming back with the position that no support contract equals no permission to use licensed products.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Mike Hand