Analytics amateur question

  • From: Kevin Lidh <kevin.lidh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 08:57:53 -0600

I'm trying to reconstruct some information for a customer.  They want to
know how their databases have grown in the last year.  We have Grid Control
but encountered a bug around May and it stopped being able to run the job
that gathers and stores this information.  I can get when we add data files
from v$datafile and I know that we add data files when we're within 2 GB of
filling up a tablespace.  So following the information backwards, I can
construct data points for how much space is allocated (data files) and how
much is used (2 GB less than max when a file is added).  What I'd like to do
is use analytics to use these data points to provide a month-by-month "where
we were" picture of database growth.  I know the "used" will be approximate
because it would assume linear growth between data points but I think it
would be a good enough picture.  Would anyone more familiar with analytics
be able to show me how to roll up this information into monthly data points?

I would assume the data would be something like this:

TABLESPACE_NAME           SAMPLE_DATE          ALLOCATED          USED
MYDATA                     3-MAY-2010          102400            81920
MYINDEX                    3-MAY-2010          102400            81920
MYDATA                    17-MAY-2010          122880           102400
MYDATA                     4-JUN-2010          143360           122880
MYINDEX                   10-JUN-2010          122880           102400
MYDATA                    11-JUN-2010          163840           143360