Re: An Oracle Linux distro

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 21:23:17 -0400

On 10/03/2006 06:37:18 PM, Kevin Closson wrote:

> So who on list here would find it a good thing if Larry puts out
> an Oracle distro? Would that mean yet another Linux distro to
> support, or would that replace the only distro you use more or less?

Personally, I'd advise my boss to completely ignore it. I know of two other
vendors
who manufacture both  OS and a database and I don't like either of them. One
was known
as an "Infernal Bloody Monopoly" and although it has somewhat changed its ways,
it's still
difficult to deal with, expensive and slow to support the 3rd party hardware.
Databases
produced by that vendor are not very popular among the general public. The
other vendor is on
the west coast, in the town of Redmond where the shadows lie. The day they
produce something
that doesn't suck will be the day they start producing vacuum cleaners. Nuff
said. I don't
think that Oracle should join these two vendors. I will not mention these two
vendors by
name, to protect their privacy.

--
Mladen Gogala