Re: "All triggers are evil",..., really?

  • From: "Toon Koppelaars" <toon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Clarke, Andrew" <andrew.clarke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 17:17:55 +0200

All other(*) data constraints in my database design.

*: other = other than the ones that I can deal with declaratively.

EMP-DEPT examples:
- There can be at most one PRESIDENT in EMP table.
- Everybody has less salary than his/her direct manager.
- No department can have more than 30 employees.
- Every department with a MANAGER, should also have an ADMINISTRATOR.
- ...
etc.

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Clarke, Andrew <andrew.clarke@xxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> >>  If all constraint validation is correctly 'tucked away' behind
> triggers, then all
> >>  of your other application code (the 'business logic' code) can be
> devoid of
> >>  constraint validation code
>
> What sort of validation would you want to do which can't be done by
> declarative constraints and which you also wouldn't want to include in the
> "'business logic' code"?
>
> Cheers, APC
>

> A P Clarke
> Software Architect