Re: After applying PSU to clustered 11g home DB on node 2 cannot start.

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 11:12:01 -0400

Hmmmm, the name of the control file apparently doesn't conform to ASM standards:

ORA-15025: could not open disk "/dev/mapper/HDD_E0_S00_372178872p1"

Can you try with naming the control file like '+DGROUP/dbname/CONTROLFILE/control1.ctl'? Your control file has a name of a real multi-path device, which cannot be owned by grid:asmadmin. You should use asmadm to check the disk group and database for the control file name.
Regards

On 04/27/2017 10:06 AM, De DBA wrote:

Hi,

I'm applying a PSU to a clustered home for the 1st time in my life and of course hit a snag.. This is 11.2.0.4 database on a 2-node ASM (12.1.0.2 ) cluster on an ODA and I am applying the 11.2.0.4 October 2016 PSU. All databases are single-node, just ASM is clustered. I am patching only the database homes, not ASM.

I ran opatch on node 1 and it propagated automatically to node 2. Before the patch, both nodes had databases running without errors.

Opatch reported no errors on either node.

After the patch, I can restart the databases on node 1 without problems and run the post-install actions, but on node 2 start attempts end in ORA-205 "Error identifying control file". In the alert log are masses of errors like this:

Thu Apr 27 23:42:51 2017

ALTER DATABASE   MOUNT

NOTE: Loaded library: System

ORA-15025: could not open disk "/dev/mapper/HDD_E0_S00_372178872p1"

ORA-27041: unable to open file

Linux-x86_64 Error: 13: Permission denied

Additional information: 9

I checked the permissions/ownership of the oracle executable, but that is the same on both nodes. The file permissions on the disk devices are also the same and ASM has never gone down during or after patching. I'm stumped...

Cheers,
Tony

--
Mladen Gogala