Re: Advanced replication vs Logical standby

  • From: "Carel-Jan Engel" <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:31:09 +0200 (CEST)

It depends on the goals you want to achieve.

- Standby / Failover?
- Running reports / queries on remote database?
- What is the frequency needed to update the remote
  (regarding dataloss, how much delay in reporting allowed)

Choosing a solution shouldn't be a technology driven choice, but rather a
requirement driven choice. After finishing the specs solutions can be
considered on pro's and cons, and then the choice can be made. Involve
mgmt in the trade-offs, when they expect High Availability it is your
responsibility, unless you involved them in the decision to rule out
certain (expensive?) features.

I've seen Logical Standby's with rather much maintenance involved, it's
not particularly easier than AR.

Regards, Carel-Jan

===
===