Re: Advanced queueing

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: cstephens16@xxxxxxxxx, Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:24:13 +0000

if you know what a queue is the documentation is sufficient. i read it
recently. if you dont than its not very good. the documentation is pretty
bloated and doesn't cut to the chase. so if you dont know anything about
queuing its a mess to read. Alot of oracle docs are like that....

best bet is to look for articles on 'queues' written by undergraduates computer
science teachers. its not the complicated. its basically just a line used for
asynchronous communication. (you hit a button and dont get a response right
away, the action completes and you come back later to check it out.).

there is a pretty good chapter in the concepts document on 'publish subscribe',
which is basically a queue.

User A presses a button. Instead of waiting for the action to complete it goes
to a list. A background process of some sort grabs the message from the list in
order and operates on it. you use this when the action does not need to take
place right away and/or the action will take longer than it is acceptable for
the user to wait.

Thats really it. I've never used advanced queueing. We did them in k-shell on
my last project to handle data publication and we use them with java and
database tables here for processing data.

advanced queuing isn't that advanced. its the same basic concepts. it just does
alot of the redundant stuff for you so you write less code. in spite of the
volumes of documentation there doesn't appear to be alot to it.

why are you giving a presentation on advanced queuing if you dont know anything
about it?

--
//www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l