Re: Active/Passive "high availability"

  • From: Mayen.Shah@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: peter.schauss@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:13:08 -0400

Hi Peter,

If you implement dataguard or simple physical standby database, it is DR
solution and not HA. You also need double the storage space.

For HA you need some kind of software (SUN Cluster or VCS). You mentioned about
not purchasing additional license from Oracle so RAC is out of question.
To avoid having accidental start of Oracle on both machines and may be licensing
issue etc., why don't you keep ORACLE HOME on shared disks. I had implemented
this in worked very well.

Mayen Shah

    "Schauss, Peter"                                                         To
    <peter.schauss@ng         oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    c.com>                                                                   cc
    Sent by:
    oracle-l-bounce@f                                                   Subject
    reelists.org              Active/Passive "high availability"

    Apr 11 2007 04:24
    PM

    Please respond to
    peter.schauss@ngc
          .com

My manager is proposing to cluster two Solaris 5.9 servers in order to
create a "high availability" solution.  At this stage he is a bit
unclear as to what software he would be using for the cluster, but he
does not envision purchasing any additional licenses from Oracle.  Our
Oracle version is 8.1.7.4.

His idea is to have an Oracle instance running on one box and a second
Oracle home on the second box, but not running.  In the event of a
failure on the active box, we would start the Oracle instance on the
other one to minimize down time.

Aside from my questions about what this configuration actually
accomplishes, my concerns would be:

-  Assuming that all of the data files are on the shared disk, would
this approach actually work?

-  The password file is normally stored in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs.  If we have
two of them do they need to be synchronized?  Is there anything else in
the dbs directory which needs to be synchronized?

-  Would we risk corrupting our data if we accidentally started the
second instance?

-  Are there any Oracle licensing issues?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss