RE: Accidentally Delete *.dbf Files, OH NO!!!

  • From: "Hollis, Les" <Les.Hollis@xxxxxx>
  • To: <ltiu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <mfontana@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:05:07 -0600

You know all of these helpful suggestions of replacing the rm command
are great IF you happen to have root privileges.  Most shops that have
SA's and DBA's typically the DBA does not have root privs., so replacing
rm would be an impossible task.....

rydsup16:/bin> ls -l rm
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     bin        18384 Jan  5  2000 rm

The best set of suggestions was that of DOCUMENTING to COO, CIO, and GOD
what has happened on not just this once but several occasions and be
sure and keep a copy yourself.  How much down time you had and asking
them what the cost was to their business for the stupidity of an
uneducated SA.  (BTW  I have been an SA in past lives so I do have
somewhat of a concept of the job...that was until I encountered the
'force' and switched to a DBA)

Do include the SA's and their managers.

As also suggested let them know that your oracle filesystems do not need
monitored for % usage and that as was mentioned you may damn well run
them to 100%....I have MANY filesystems at 100%.  At least the SA's I
have are smart enough to understand the growth requirements and sanctity
of my Oracle file systems.  In fact, our monitoring software will page
me when one of our filesystems (like $ORACLE_HOME or my Archive
destination) hits 100%.  It also ignores the rest of my FS's where
datafiles reside because we have told it to ignore them)

--
//www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l