RE: Accidentally Delete *.dbf Files, OH NO!!!

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <mfontana@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <spatenau@xxxxxxxxx>, <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:12:07 -0600

Very good of you to pick up on the fact that I mentioned other flavors
besides solaris seem to "recognize" that the files are in use.

A lot of people assumed, from my post, that since the "rm" was executed as
root, that an SA performed the dirty deeds.  In one case, it was another
DBA, who simply did not recognize the fact that the .dbf files were part of
a live database (for good reason - they were under a misnamed directory!!!).

My point is, that on AIX at least, I believe you are first WARNED that the
files are in use.

I was hoping there was some way to achieve that same type of behavior on
Solaris.  We also use Redhat Linux in my shop.  I've yet to determine if
Linux also limits deletion of files in use.

Anyone know?