Re: AW: Oracle 10g for Windows

  • From: Jared.Still@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:14:41 -0800

I don't believe that Net::Daemon will work under Windoze.
The only daemons I have personally created have been
via Dave Roth's  Win32::Daemon.

These are daemons on that interact with services.exe.

It may be possible to subvert HTTP::Daemon for use as Net::Daemon,
but I really don't know.

When I need to interact with something on a Windows system, I tend
to do it with this checklist in mind:

* should this be done in Perl?
* if so, can I do it from a linux box?
* darn, looks like this has to be done from the server.

If it has to be done on the server, and Perl is the tool of choice, I try
to minimize the number of components.

ie. I don't want to rely on Cygwin.

I will install Perl, and the modules needed to do the job.

I've don't try to setup the Cygwin Perl to use DBD::Oracle, etc.

Instead, I just use the Active State perl when in a Cygwin shell,
which I only do from my laptop.

Jared

Stefan Jahnke <Stefan.Jahnke@xxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 02/17/2004 10:32 AM
 Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        AW: Oracle 10g for Windows

Hi Jared

Since you are the list's official Perl guru:

Speaking of making impossible things possible:
Is there a way of getting a DBI::Proxy server=20
to work under windows using Active State (5.6)?
I needed to install Net::Daemon and PlRPC,=20
but I keep getting Net::Daemon errors reporting=20
non-implemented methods needed by dbiproxy.

I would like to use that to run perl scripts=20
that were developed on and for unix to be run=20
on Cygwin, connecting to a local dbiproxy running=20
on Win2k (ActiveState Perl).

Any chance?

Stefan

Stefan Jahnke
Consultant
BOV Aktiengesellschaft
Tel.: +49 201/45 13-298
Fax: +49 201/45 13-144
mailto:stefan.jahnke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Please remove nospam to contact me via email.
http://www.bov.de
Abonnieren Sie unseren Newsletter: http://www.bov.de/enews

Optimieren Sie durch Portale Ihr taegliches Geschaeft: Wie Anwendungen =
in
einem dynamischen Prozesskontext Ihre Informationsprozesse deutlich
beschleunigen koennen, erfahren Sie von mailto:martin.ostrowski@xxxxxx

Wie Sie wissen, koennen ueber das Internet versandte E-Mails leicht =
unter
fremden Namen erstellt oder manipuliert werden. Aus diesem Grunde =
bitten wir
um Verstaendnis dafuer, dass wir zu Ihrem und unserem Schutz die =
rechtliche
Verbindlichkeit der vorstehenden Erklaerungen und Aeusserungen
ausschliessen.

As you are probably aware, e-mails sent via the Internet can easily be
copied or manipulated by third parties. For this reason we would ask =
for
your understanding that, for your own protection and ours, we must =
decline
all legal responsibility for the validity of the statements and =
comments
given above.

-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----