Re: AUTOEXTEND

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ora_forum@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 12:29:03 -0700

On 10/4/05, ora_forum <ora_forum@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>  Could you give me examples why we should not do AUTOEXTENTS?
>
> I'm thinking about: 1. Keep all db files 4 GB in size for better
> maintenance...

If you have tables that are subject to FTS, autoextend is a bad thing.

Create the tablespace up front, with space allocated for the table(s).

If your storage is already dedicated to the database, and your backups
are via RMAN, you could just extend the files out to use all available
space.

RMAN doesn't backup the empty blocks.

Otherewise, autoextend may be OK. It takes some work upfront to ensure that
files don't try to autoextend past the end of the disk. I have heard of bad
things happening in that case, but have not had that experience myself.
You may want to research that.

If there are 2+ databases on the server, autoextend could be a bit of a
headache.

If you use autoextend, you will probably want to use the MAXSIZE clause.

Unlimited autoextend could also be a headache.
eg. Someone mistakenly updates an entire 500 million row table, rather
than just last weeks data. Gee, an ORA-1651 might not be so bad
in that situation. :)

There aren't any rules - you have to decide what will work in your
environment.

--
Jared Still