Re: ASMM and poor SQL caching

  • From: fairlie rego <fairlie_r@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: swhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 02:21:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Susan,

  We have had issues when using ASMM that the library cache keeps on growing
and we have to flush the shared pool every 10 days. This is because of non
shareable SQL where cursors do not get shared because of language mismatch
between the client and the server.
  Regards,
-Fairlie

Susan White <swhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
                How does ASMM handle a system with high volumes of
non-shareable SQL?  When manually sizing the shared pool, we have always been
reminded that a large shared pool size could lead to serious performance
problems strictly because of the size of the pool.  Assuming you have this
situation in an ASMM environment, how does Oracle handle it?  Does the shared
pool grow so large that the other auto-sized caches are affected? Do the
advisors recommend increasing the sga_target to accommodate a huge shared pool
and if so, what are the performance ramifications?  Are they similar to those
encountered with large shared pools in a manually sized environment?

  I realize that one of the answers is to fix the app.  However, I?m trying to
understand how ASMM would handle this situation in case it isn?t a good
solution for some applications.

  Thanks

  Susan White

          Fairlie Rego