Re: ASM (was RE: 64 node Oracle RAC Cluster (The reality of...))

  • From: Mark Bole <makbo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:47:58 -0700

That Metalink note documents a RAC problem, not an ASM problem. Most service-group oriented clusters (Veritas VCS, HP/UX Service Guard) have the same behavior, which is by design, not a bug. (The behavior being, if a resource goes off-line, the other resources which have been defined to depend on that resource also go off-line).

In the situation documented in the note, only the one node is affected, not the other nodes.

Anyone who stores their only backup inside of the production ASM instance is violating the golden rule of backups and needs to go back to DBA school. Sure, put the Flash Recovery Area on ASM, but copy it somewhere else, too.

-Mark Bole