Re: ASM to replace vxvm/vxfs;

  • From: krish.hariharan@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:15:03 -0800 (PST)

Yes I have built several the largest of it went from 0-20TB in about 6
months.

1. We looked at MPXIO but ended up using EMC powerpath. ASM does not
handle that part. You provided the consolidated device to ASM

2. Except for the OCR and Voting disks, Yes. Just make sure that the same
LUNS are available from all nodes even if its not by the same name (you
can use EMC powermt for example)

3. The issue you would run into is memory. I am still weiging the pros and
cons of provisioning all the instances on all the servers vs only on some
servers - have done both schems. I have managed the client the instance
association by starting and stopping services. You could apply the same
principle for instances as well. If you use kind of the airline model for
overbooking you should at times be prepared to kick some passengers off or
apply the pigeon hole principle, yikes!

-Krish