Re: ASM switching storage

  • From: Svetoslav Gyurov <softice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luka.grah@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 18:42:19 +0200

Hi,

Well, as Jason said it depends whether you can effort downtime or not, another thing is that the first method is more elegant and its really easy and cheap to mirror data between storages. Personally I used other method which is similar to the second to move data from small storage to bigger one. The customer was using SLES and Oracle10g RAC. For moving data we connected the nodes to both storages and then using dd we copy three disks ocr, vote and asm disk from the first storage to the second storage (the database and crs were down of course). Then we disconnected the hosts from the first storage, rebooted the hosts so after reboot the same names and device files were mapped to the second storage virtual disks. The RAC started right away without any problems. This was not the perfect or fastest solution, but we felt more confident and we had a step back in a case of failure. The second method will definitely work (the asm disk groups should not be mounted and asm instance should be offline) and if you don't want to change the symbolic links locations you can change the asm_diskstring variable to point to the location of the cloned disks as the asm data is contained on the disks and it's read at the startup of asm the instance.

Regards,
sve

Luka Grah wrote:
Hellow!

I have one question about switching external storage for Oracle RDBMS.
Oracle uses ASM and disk devices are masked using symbolic links.

We want to change storage - we bought a new storage arry .
For moving Oracle I was considering two options for ASM data migration:

- Using ASM, add new disks and drop the old one and let ASM rebalance data.

- To copy data using storage tools and then just change symbolic links locations.

Would the second method work?

Regards,
    Luka Grah