RE: ASM or not to ASM

  • From: "Lange, Kevin G" <kevin.lange@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 13:53:32 -0500

We currently use standbys for our recovery strategy along with netapps
for storage.

If the only reason you are contemplating RAC is for failover to a
secondary instance, then I would reconsider that thought.

Depending on your downtime requirements, standbys might work for you.

Our situation:
  2 colocations.
  2 Netapps, one in each colocation.
  1 Production Database in first Colocation.
  1 Standby database in second Colocation.

  Automated log transport and application makes sure we are never more
than 15 minutes behind on the logs.

  Log storage with redundant drives.
  The netapps themselves handle their own drive redundancy.

  For a failure of production, we push any remaining logs and bring up
standby .
  Failure of production netapp, push any remaining logs and bring up
standby.
  Failure of Production Server, bring up standby (with the understanding
that we might have up to 15 minutes of logs not applied.  Worst scenario
but ok in our case.)
  Failure of Production Colocation, bring up standy with same note as
above.

Our backup methodology is to use the netapps snapshot abilities to
backup files during daily hot backups plus a weekly cold backup.
Downtime approximately 5 minutes total.   We also take the standby down
once a week for the same 5 minutes and make snapshots of it.  Plus, as a
final contingency, we take tape backups of the snapshot offsite after
the cold backups.

Since the system has been setup the biggest non-automated actions that
have to be done is if we have to bring up the standby.  Its been a very
stable configuration.